Friday night was our eleventh anniversary, so went out for some great sushi and had a fabulous night out. The anniversary got me thinking about all the things I love about my husband. Here are the first fifteen that come to mind.
1) His sense of humor. Growing up, I never had a long list of demands for my husband-to-be, but I knew he had to be someone who would make me laugh.
2) His love for God. The only other criterion on my dating-days list was that my future husband would love the Lord, and Scott fits that bill perfectly.
3) He's a great dad. Actually, when I was single, I didn't think a whole lot about parenthood or raising kids, but I am so thankful my husband loves our boys and is so kind, patient, and playful.
4) Heart for ministry. My husband and I actually met because of our mutual desire to serve as cross-cultural missionaries in Siberia. We never made it to the field, but Scott's passion to serve God is still strong and inspiring.
5) Great cook. If you've read my author bio on amazon, you'll know I'm not that skilled in the kitchen. Thankfully, Scott is, and once or twice a week he makes us all a meal worthy of any local restaurant.
6) Hard working. I know there are days when he doesn't feel like getting up and going to work, but he does. I probably don't thank him enough, but it means the world to me that Scott provides so the boys and I can be together and have everything we need (and then some).
7) Goofy. Sometimes he just bursts into spontaneous song, making up lyrics to make us all laugh. Life would be so boring without him!
8) Encouraging. I've wanted to be an author basically my entire life, but without Scott's encouragement I may have never found the courage to do what I love to do.
9) Literary. Scott and I really love to discuss the books we're reading, and he's also great when I come across a plot hole in my writing. I can't tell you how many hours of relaxation (and sleep!) he's lost listening to me mull over plot points.
10) Supportive of our homeschooling. I love teaching our boys, and I love that they're able to learn so much together. I'm really thankful for Scott for supporting and encouraging our homeschool efforts.
11) Involved in our homeschooling. Scott will sometimes give the boys topics to study or teach them things about history or politics I don't know as much about. Every week the boys love emailing Dad the reports they've done, and he always has great feedback for them.
12) Romantic. I'll let that speak for itself.
13) Knows me. Even better than I know myself. Scott knows my moods so well he knows when I'm upset usually before I do, and he also understands that I sometimes just need a listening ear to process all my thoughts.
14) Laid-back and accepting. Some dads or husbands can be really heavy-handed or demanding. I love that I never feel stressed to live up to Scott's expectations. He loves us all for who we are.
15) Thoughtful. We can engage in discussions about theology or politics, and even when we disagree, we both come out better for it.
I probably don't brag about him enough, but I hope he knows today how much I love him and cherish the eleven years we've had together.
Here's to at least forty or fifty more!